my loves

Sunday, September 4, 2011

$600, a flatbed, & 37 weeks

question: what do these things have in common??

the answer should be NOTHING! but, yesterday, those 3 things summed up one of the more grueling 2 hours i've had in a long time.

here's what happened:
i went on what i thought would be a nice little "outing" just by my little old self (which doesn't really happen much these days). i knew i was going to sam's which some may not think would be fun, but i am one of those girls that really likes going shopping (it doesn't matter where) and going by myself...even better.

so, i grab my cart & have my list on my iPhone and felt prepared. as i started out, i realized "hmm...don't have any of the kids, i might as well make this our 'big' shopping trip of the month so i don't have to drag the kiddos out sometime and risk my sanity."

i took a couple of minutes & typed more on my list & away i went. as i went aisle by aisle, slowly i started to pack things in & pretty soon i realized this was a bit out of control. 5 boxes of diapers, wipes, rice, yogurt, a container of paper towels that came up to my waist, flower bulbs, milk, frozen food...and the list literally goes on & on (& on & on).

i was about 3/4ths of my way done & my very pregnant, very 37 week-self was about to sit down on the floor (or lay down!!) and quit. i willed myself to keep going...

as i got up to the register, the very sweet sam's employee was like "wow" as her eyes widened a bit and asked me how big my family was. :) then, she helped me load everything from my cart onto the belt, went & got a flatbed & set to work ringing everything up. i didn't bother looking behind me knowing that if anyone was there, they may be fuming.

then, i stood there watching as the grocery prices started adding up. i knew it would be a lot...somewhere around $450 was my guess. then we passed that & kept going. we finally stopped at $607! for the second time, i almost laid down on the floor.

is this what a family of 6 looks like?? oh. my. goodness.

i paid. and, she made me stand there with my flatbed while she called someone. she said, "girl, you are not pushing that anywhere. someone will push this out & load it for you. don't move." (her kindness almost made me cry.)

he loaded up our van & i text the hub-ster the cost of the groceries so he could be mentally prepared.

when i got home, he came right out, hugged me, had lunch on the table & wheeled the wheel-barrow around and started unloading. (just for the record: it was 2 wheelbarrow loads & about 4 hand carried trips. and, just for the record: we have NEVER used a wheelbarrow to unload our groceries.)

needless to say, i'm glad that is over. i hurt for the rest of the day--belly, back, head, feet. :)

and, now i know. 6 of us...it's going to be fun. many adventures & lots of food!

happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment